Man killed by Cincinnati police ruled incompetent in 2015




CINCINNATI (AP) — Court records show that a 25-year-old robbery suspect killed by a Cincinnati police officer over the weekend had been ruled incompetent to stand trial and ordered into mental health treatment last year.

Hamilton County court documents show that a judge in September 2015 that Jawari Porter was mentally ill when he had faced charges of assault and resisting arrest. A July 31, 2015, police affidavit states that Porter continued to try to attack an assault victim after police used stun guns.

An assistant public defender who represented Porter at one point last year said the office's involvement ended after the case moved to probate court.

Cincinnati's police chief says an officer had no choice but to fire at Porter. He says Porter charged the officer with a knife as the policeman was getting out of his cruiser.
comments powered by Disqus