The Latest: 3 players charged in California hazing case




DOS PALOS, Calif. (AP) — The Latest on a hazing scandal at a California high school (all times local):

6:30 p.m.

Prosecutors have charged three football players with felonies in a hazing scandal at a high school in central California.

District Attorney Larry D. Morse II tells the Merced Sun-Star that the three teen boys were all charged in juvenile court Thursday with felony false imprisonment and misdemeanor hazing.

No one has revealed specifics about what happened among the varsity football players at Dos Palos High School last week that led to the arrests and charges of the 16-year-old and two 17-year-olds. Their names haven't been released because of their ages.

Morse says only that it was a hazing incident that spun out of control.

Police say one more player is expected to be arrested at some point.

___

1:15 p.m.

The police chief of a small, Central California farming town says he is fearful that a high school football hazing scandal will grow beyond the alleged incident that led to arrest of three varsity players.

Dos Palos police chief Barry Mann said Thursday he called on the local district attorney to help his department of seven officers investigate the widening scandal at the city's only high school the day before its football team's biggest rivalry game of the season.

Mann declined to discuss the details of the incident last week that involved three top players allegedly hazing a younger student about 60 miles northwest of Fresno. He said two 17-year-olds and a 16-year-old were arrested. They weren't identified because of their ages.
comments powered by Disqus