Good intentions are a lovely thing, but when you really want to make changes in your life, goals get the job done.
Whether it’s furthering your education or improving your finances, experts will tell you that the way to get where you want is by setting realistic, attainable goals.
The same can be said about fitness, but we each have our own definition of realistic.
One great way to set an active living goal you will meet is to sign up for something you just can’t back out of. And with summer upon us, the opportunities to do just that abound.
If you are a serious runner or long-time athlete, consider pushing yourself with a half-marathon or Ironman race. Enthusiastic amateurs might shoot for a 10K or one of the new adventure races. And if running isn’t in your routine right now, pick one of the family-friendly 5K walk/runs being scheduled.
The secret is to pick the right event and make sure all your friends know your plans — that way they’ll hold you to it. Consider talking a friend or family members into joining you so you can support one another. And make sure you give yourself time to work up to the challenge — if you don’t run today, training for a marathon is going to take you more than a month.
Whatever your motivation, there are plenty of opportunities coming up to commit. And many are in support of a good cause, meaning you can help yourself and others at the same time.
• Juneteenth - Show-Way 5K - Saturday, June 21 at the Cheryl Allen Center. For additional information go to the event’s webpage at http://www.cityhall.lima.oh.us/Calendar.aspx?EID=412&month=6&year=2014&day=19&calType=0.
• Limaland Bicycle Tour - Saturday, June 21 at the Lima YMCA. For more information, go to http://www.teamroadrunners.org/limaland-tour/
• The YMCA’s Herb Jay River Run 5K – Tuesday, June 24, at the Lima YMCA.
• Lima YMCA/Kewpee Triathlon/Duathlon, Sunday July 20, at the Ottawa Metro Park.
• LACCA’s Nurturing Fathers BBQ – Friday, June 27, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., at the Faurot Park Shelter House II. For information, contact John Gonzales at 41-227-0158 or email@example.com.
• Heart Chase – Saturday, September 20, in Downtown Lima. For more information go to http://honor.americanheart.org/site/TR?fr_id=3000&pg=entry
• Warrior Mode Urban Adventure Race – Saturday, Aug. 2, at Faurot Park. For information, go to www.warrior-mode.com.
For more information on these events or other activities around Allen County, go to www.activateallencounty.com.