The number of arrests has grown in the county’s biggest heroin bust — the tally stands at 24.
Sgt. James Welsh of the Elyria police department said this is the second wave of arrests and expects more to come. The first brought seven arrests.
Investigators tell us they hope stings will stem the tide pushing heroin into our smaller communities such as Amherst, Oberlin, and Wellington.
The recently-arrested 17 suspects are believed to have purchased heroin from Wayne Norris, who last week was arrested by the Lorain County Task Force.
It worked with the Elyria and Lorain police departments, the attorney general’s Bureau of Criminal Investigation, and the West Shore Enforcement Bureau.
Norris is suspected of leading one of the biggest drug trafficking rings in the county according to Lorain County chief sheriff’s deputy Dennis Cavanaugh.
Welsh said the heroin purchased by the 17 suspects was either for personal use or to sell.
Cavanaugh said taking down Norris’ ring is just a small part of the process.
• Jordan Burke, 23, of Norwalk, was arrested at his residence.
• Christopher Alexander, 29, of Elyria, was arrested at his residence.
• Mickey Metheny, 30, of Elyria, was arrested at his residence.
• Garrett Padgett, 30, of North Ridgeville, was arrested at his residence.
• Gregory Smink, 29, of Elyria, was in custody at the Lorain County Sheriff’s Office on an unrelated charge.
• Christopher Songer, 32, of Elyria, was in custody at the Lorain County Sheriff’s Office on an unrelated charge.
• Lucas McMullen, 32, of LaGrange, was arrested at his residence.
• Larry Moore, 21, of LaGrange, was arrested at his residence.
• Kenedy Schultz, 22, of Elyria, turned herself in to the Elyria police.
• Josh Truman, 30, of LaGrange, turned himself in to the Elyria police.
• Cheryna Samples, 20, of Lorain, was arrested at his residence.
• Stacey Hollis, 25, of Barberton, turned herself in to the Elyria police.
• Albert Hollis, 49, of Elyria, was arrested at Econo Lodge Motel in Elyria.
• Megan Foky, 19, of Elyria, was arrested at Sunoco Gas in Elyria.
• Joshua McDaniel, 30, of Elyria, turned himself in to the Elyria police.
• Cody Yourich, 23, of Wellington, was arrested at Walmart in Elyria.
All suspects were charged with conspiracy to traffic heroin, a second degree felony.
Lawrence Resko, 20, of Elyria, was also arrested but charged with misdemeanor drug charges. He was with Foky at Sunoco., police said.
County coroner Stephen Evans, police, pharmacists, and treatment and prevention specialists, and concerned residents have rallied here over the past year to raise public awareness about the damage done by opiates.
Overdose fatalities peaked in 2013 at 67 in Lorain County.
The average user isn’t some stereotypical “junkie,” Evans has said.
The profile is actually white, aged 30 to 50, middle class, and suburban. There’s an even split between men and women who are addicted.
Caitlyn Wasmundt may be reached at 440-647-3171 or on Twitter @LC_CaitW.