June 6, 2013
Putnam County Historical Society will host a tour of three Putnam
County churches this Sunday, June 9, from 1 to 3 p.m. The churches are St.
Michaelís Catholic Church in Kalida, Holy Family Catholic Church on SR
109 in New Cleveland and Grace Mennonite Church in Pandora.
The tours are open to the public. Each church will have a member of
the church to explain the history of the church and answer questions.
St. Michaels Catholic Church
312 N Broad St. Kalida
Informational talk at 1:00 and 2:00 In 1920 the parish decided they did
not fit in their old church so they built a new church. They hired an architect
, formed committees and on August 31, 1924 the first corner stone was put
into place. The project was completed two years later so on May 2, 1926
the formal dedication took place. The campanile of this magnificent building raises 135 feet into the air and is topped with a cross. This church is built in the Lombardic-Romaesque style of Northern Italy. The roof is of Spanish brick.
Holy Family Catholic Church
New Cleveland 7359 St. Route 109
This parish was started in 1859 bya small colony of German Pioneers.
The first church was built in 1860. In 1915 the plans were made for
a new church. March 18, 1916 was the completion date. The cost was
$32,000 On Easter Sunday 1919 a statue of the Holy Family was placed
in the church above the high altar. The statue was purchased by the parishioners
at a cost of $274 .
Pandora Grace Mennonite Church
502 East Main Street , Pandora
On May 1, 1904 a group held their first meeting in the old Methodist
Church in Pandora. The group met again at Diller Hall above the hardware store in Pandora. On Saturday, May 7, an organizational meeting was held and a constitution
was adopted. In August of 1904 about three dozen men and ten or twelve teams of
horses began excavation for the new building. The building was dedicated on February 26, 1905.